Great cholesterol lowering side dish recipe to accompany any meal.
- Cooking time40 minutes
- Prep time15 minutes
- 16 portions
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- finely grated fresh orange zest
- 2 tsp sugar
- 40 g / 2 tsp Flora ProActiv buttery spread or original
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 40 g / 2 tsp Flora ProActiv buttery spread or original extra for serving
|Energy (kcal)||120 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||501 kJ|
|Protein (g)||2.8 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||15.9 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||14.2 g|
|Sugar (g)||1.2 g|
|Fibre (g)||1.8 g|
|Fat (g)||5.1 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.9 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||3.9 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||2.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||1.9 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||14 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||225 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.56 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||247 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||13.7 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||105 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.98 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||74 mg|
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Lightly grease a medium 21.5 x 11.5 x 5.5cm loaf pan with Flora pro-activ.
- Sift flours, baking powder and cinnamon into a mixing bowl and return the wholemeal husks to the mixture. Mix the orange zest and sugar together and add to the flour.
- Mix in the Flora pro-activ with a spatula and stir in the pecans. Make a well in the centre and add the egg and buttermilk and mix to form soft dough. Place mixture onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Shape to fit inside the tin and place into the prepared tin. Make a few slashes in the top of the loaf and brush with a little extra buttermilk.
- Bake at 220°C for 10 minutes, and then reduce the oven temperature to 190°C and cook for 25-30 minutes until the loaf sounds hollow when knocked on the top and is lightly browned.
- Remove from the tin and cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Serve sliced spread with the extra Flora pro-activ as a side to soups, casseroles and salads.
Lightly toast and spread with low fat cottage or ricotta cheese and jam for brunch.