Lemon Syrup Muffins
A delicious snack or breakfast with a lemony twist
- Cooking time15 minutes
- Prep time10 minutes
- 12 portions
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 60 grams Flora ProActiv buttery spread
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar extra
|Energy (kcal)||100 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||420 kJ|
|Protein (g)||1.5 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||15.9 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||15.6 g|
|Sugar (g)||11.5 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.2 g|
|Fat (g)||3.6 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.8 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||2.6 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||1.2 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||1.4 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||18 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||71 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.18 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||211 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||1.8 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||18 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.17 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||34 mg|
- Preheat oven to 190◦C. Place paper cases in a 12 cup muffin pan and spray each case with light olive oil spray.
- Beat Flora pro-activ and sugar in a mixer until light and creamy. Gradually beat in the egg until well combined. Add lemon zest. Place the flours in a separate mixing bowl and mix with a wire whisk to combine.
- In another bowl, combine the bi-carbonate soda and buttermilk– it will bubble and start to rise.
- Using a large spoon, add the creamed egg mixture and buttermilk mixture to the flour and stir only until just combined – it will still be lumpy. Spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared paper cases. Bake for 16 minutes or until lightly golden and springy when touched. Cool muffins in tin for 3 minutes.
- To make syrup, combine lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer until mixture slightly thickens.
- Remove the paper cases and pour lemon syrup over muffins. Cool and serve with strawberries.
Muffins can be turn once clockwise every 4 minutes while cooking for even browning.