Cherry Almond Cake
Enjoy sweet treats while lowering your cholesterol with this dessert recipe.
- Cooking time25 minutes
- Prep time15 minutes
- 8 portions
- 60 grams Flora ProActiv buttery spread
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 2 eggs separated
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 670 grams canned morello cherries pitted drained
- 8 small scoops reduced fat ice-cream to serve
|Energy (kcal)||354 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||1493 kJ|
|Protein (g)||3.8 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||67.1 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||65.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||53.4 g|
|Fibre (g)||2.1 g|
|Fat (g)||8.4 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||1.8 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||6.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||3.2 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||2.8 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||54 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||161 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.40 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||347 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||1.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||49 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.80 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||62 mg|
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a 20 cm fluted flan dish with melted Flora pro-activ.
- Cream Flora pro-activ, sugar and vanilla sugar until light and creamy. Beat in the lemon zest. Gradually beat in the egg yolks. Whisk the egg whites and fold into the creamed mixture alternatively with the flour and almond meal. Spread mixture into the prepared dish.
- Arrange cherries over the top of the mixture, creating an even pattern. Place the remaining cherries to the side.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool.
- Serve warm or cold with ice cream and left over cherries, either whole or chopped and swirled through the ice cream.
Vanilla sugar is made by adding a dried vanilla bean to a jar of caster sugar, or you can add an extra tbsp of caster sugar and ½ tsp vanilla extract to this recipe.